About FBC

“Miracle on Main Street”

First Baptist Church of Blackshear originated from a Missionary Baptist Sunday School established in 1877 by the Rev. W.D. Atkinson.  The first house of worship was a wooden building at the corner of A Street and Courthouse Street (now Main and Park streets).  From this Sunday School evolved the first Missionary Baptist Church, and after that, it was called Blackshear Baptist Church.  It was renamed First Baptist Church in 1938, and on October 17, 1994, it became First Baptist Church of Blackshear, Inc. (Source:  125th Anniversary Edition:  History of First Baptist Church Blackshear, Georgia)

Our mission at First Baptist Church of Blackshear, Inc. is to develop a growing fellowship of believers in Christ under the leadership of the Holy Spirit as we:

  • Proclaim that the only way to abundant and eternal life is through Jesus Christ
  • Encourage Christian growth through worship, teaching, training, witnessing, and fellowship, according to the Bible
  • Minister cooperatively to the needs of the community and of the world in Jesus’ name
  • Cooperate with the Southern Baptist Convention and promote unity and peace among believers